Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Running for the Non-Athletic

Which would be me, the non-athletic. There came appoint, early August for instance, that I became sick and tired of rude comments pertaining to my lack pf physical activity. I'd like to blame this on the fact sports teams at my high school are chosen based upon politics- if you're parents aren't high-class or beneficial to the school, you're cut. It's bluntly obvious, and considering my dad is a machinist, my mom a nurse, we are useless, so I refrained. But lack of self-confidence played a contributor to this... after trying out for three different sports during middle school, and being cut from each, I gave up. Everyone was taller, skinnier, or richer, than I. The summer going into my ninth grade year, I started Couch to 5K the first time, made it to week eight (out of nine) and quit due to family issues. However, this summer, I regained interest, laced up my running shoes, and set out for my second go round. Here I am today, a full graduate from the Couch to 5K program, preparing now for my first actually 5K, which will be in seventeen days!!

I am writing this post in hopes to aspire some of you to take up running, and/or make you're running journey easier using personal tactics. Below are some suggestions to tweak you routine, and some quotes to keep in mind when you're in a slump before, during, or after your run...

1) Don't listen to the professionals, do listen to music while you run. I chose to listen to music I wouldn't typically listen to and didn't know, so I spent my run learning the lyrics instead of clock-stalking. 

2) The hardest step is the first one out the door... no one regrets running/ working out, but people do regret not running/working out. 

3) Have cute running shoes, preferably two pairs. I read somewhere that alternating shoes helps your feet. I do it, so why not trying. Oh, cute shoes help. You'll want to get running to show them off!

4) You're lapping everyone on the couch. Don't let the time per mile discourage you. We aren't all speed-demons. If you are comfortable with your pace, and don't have to stop to catch your breath, you're doing great! Keep pushing. 

5) Make a list of why you want to start running at the beginning of your journey. Refresh your memory over time if you begin to feel discouraged. Also, try to write down how many days a week you want to run. For my program, Couch to 5K, it called for three days a week. If you get it in your head by writing it out and make it a priority, it is more likely to happen. 

6) Tell people about your running! Everyone needs someone to be enthusiastic and positive throughout the journey. For me, it was my mom.  A year and a half ago she began the Couch to 5K program... this summer she ran a half marathon! The way I take her advice is with the mindset "she's been there-done that, listen to her!" 


I hope these tips and suggestions make a difference in your physical-activity side of life! Anyone can become a runner!


3 comments:

  1. Awww...I was so sad to read about the politics behind sports and groups at your school. They should be promoting team building, health, wellness and confidence and it doesn't sound like the schools are doing their jobs. I'm so glad that you are taking this journey on your own and working to inspire others. Keep going and you are amazing no matter what anyone else says. Have fun running...that's what it's all about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I've just started running, you're right about music and taking the first step out of the door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely love your post!! How's the running going? I'm training for a 5k then hopefully run a half marathon next year.

    Jessa
    Lifeofasportswife.blogspot.como

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment with any type of feedback- I'd love to hear from you!