Monday, March 26, 2012

Sugar & Spice


Sundrop Pound Cake 
Sweet and Spicy Bacon Chicken


Today, I will offer you two very unique recipes which are originated down here below the Mason Dixon Line! Hope you enjoy! :) 
*Sundrop Pound cake is a pound cake whom's secret ingredient is Sundrop! Sundrop is a soda which was thrown together in Missouri, but marketed in Southern States.
*Sweet and Spicy Bacon Chicken is a recipe for baked chicken that I stumbled across on Pinterest. It's unique flavor owes itself to the garlic/chili powder, brown sugar, and bacon! 

May this post expose the inner Paula Dean in all of us!!
...Or should I say Rachael Ray?? ;)

I apologize in advance for the poor quality photos... they are captured through my iPhone!

Sundrop Pound Cake 


3 cups sugar 
1/2 cup of shortening 
5 eggs
1 tsp lemon extract 
2 sticks margarine 
3 cups of plain all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla 
6 oz of Sundrop 


1. Cream sugar, margarine & shortening together 

2. Add flour & eggs- beat until blended 


3. Add vanilla & lemon flavoring 
4. Add sundrop last 

5. Bake in tube pan for 1 hour & 15 minutes @ 325 degrees 

DO NOT: Open your oven UNTIL timer has went off! Doing so may result in your cake falling!!!
Make sure you spray your pan very well, especially the tube part, before putting the batter in! Also, don't remove your baked cake until you're sure it is cool!
**Please note: the taller tube pan you use, the shorter your pound cake will be... So if you wish to have a taller cake, use a shorter tube pan. 


I'm making two of these Sundrop pound cakes, using my Aunt Alicia's recipe, for a school club I participate in, FCCLA (Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America). They are working at Habitat for Humanity tomorrow afternoon. I am unable to attend tomorrow's event, so this was my way of helping out in the only way I could! 
Enjoy!! 
*BTW: There is an icing recipe that goes along with this cake. My instructions were to make in an icing-less desert so I did not include the icing recipe in this blog entry. Although, if you plan on making this recipe & would like the icing recipe that accommodates this cake, please email me at rbell4unc@yahoo.com !!



Black is the original recipe... Red is my changes, based on ingredients I had handy & only cooking for myself tonight. 
Sweet and Spicy Bacon Chicken
4 chicken breasts cut in thirds (12 pieces) 
 *2 chicken breast, cut in half
Bacon slices 
*Turkey bacon slices
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder 
*I think it's garlic powder, the label has been removed
chili powder N/A ... there goes the spicy, I think? 
brown sugar

Cut each breast into 3 (2) pieces, season all the chicken with the spices, then wrap a bacon slice around each piece, roll in brown sugar and place into an oven proof dish....make sure you have some olive oil in the dish too, like 2 or 3 tablespoons is fine {I skipped this since I grilled them.  I honestly think you could coat your dish with nonstick cooking spray instead to save a few calories}.  
I am grilling mine, because my oven is occupied by my pound cake(s)!!!

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and bacon is nice and brown and crispy.  Delicious served with mashed potatoes with some of the gravy from the chicken drizzled on top.
**Also great on the grill!  No juices to drizzle on anything, but still delicious! 
15 minutes on one side.. flip, 10 on the other side.
Idahoan Instant Mashed Potatoes are amazing... which is what I am using!

I have never made this particular twist of chicken, although I have baked chicken quite frequently!  Fingers crossed...



Looks delicious...!
OMG! Delicious is an understatement!!!

Recipe for chicken comes from Mel's Kitchen Cafe



I hope you love these opposite yet mouthwatering dishes as I did!! Let me know how yours turned out!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment with any type of feedback- I'd love to hear from you!